ArtescommunityART AS A VEHICLE FOR EDUCATION AND SOCIAL INCLUSION

Non-Verbal Theatre

Home Forums Theatre Non-Verbal Theatre

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts

admin

said

I would like to know somehows experiences in this kind of theatre.
For a long time I am searching in images/metaphors who expresses concepts substituting or enriching speeches.
Another important question is the application in therapeutic pedagogy or simple the use of non-verbal-tecnics for the purpose to develop the creativity.

1 March 2014 at 09:19

admin

said

Hi Christine! I myself am very much interested in non-verbal expression in theatre, this is why I work with puppets, as you know.
I am wondering if you might find useful and relevant my experience of creating non-verbal theatre with different groups of participants – young drug addicts in Poland, volunteers in Thailand and a mixed international team of artists and educators in Holland. Basically, the idea was to begin workshop with a very simple story (it could be an image – a painting or a postcard too) and then to focus on different perspectives of personages who appear in this story in order to tell it, without words, in a new way. This method proved to be very effective in stimulating creativity of participants. You can see an example of such workshop at: http://arteryproject.eu/platform/index.php?page=paths&subpage=showpath&pathid=84

Once more, thank you for the workshop you did together with Sandra Passarello for our disabled charges in February. Those interested in your work might see some great photos at: http://www.teatrgrodzki.pl/teatralne-eksperymenty-warsztat-polsko-wlosko-niemiecki/

3 March 2014 at 21:55

admin

said

Hello Maria,
Well , maybe in the following you will find some kind of answer to your question as I will refer to my work with the junior group.
Your question was about stimulation of the creativity. However you begin to introduce a workshop is good, but like me it’s important to dissolve some stagnancy who arises in moments of too much liberty to play with materials. So could it be a help to focuse on a detail-theme. I will explain this with my own example who had should be conducted with the Junior-group:
As you probably remember, as a first step we worked with “dialogues between papers”. This resulted, as I almost expected, in a “battle between papers”.
So as a second step the topic was changed, now it was “love”, meaning: building and showing “characters” being in some way in love with each other and getting into contact/ confronting each other in a special way.( Then we stopped and Sandra intervented with ‘the finger’)
Third step: reduction of “characters”. The members of the group should be asked to just express the special/ individual “features” of the characters they had created and then make them act with other “characters” in the group (ideally with those having completely different features, intending only paper-forms, i.e. round with spiky etc. . So the forms will give the input to play, less the own inner problematic.
Note: This sequence of steps was chosen because I am of the opinion, that by increasing reduction/localization you give more and more room to imagination. It seems a contradiction, but it isn’t.
What do you mean, Maria? What is your experience?

7 March 2014 at 11:02

admin

said

Hello again, Christine, after a longer silence.

I fully agree with your statement that focusing group work on a specific theme/problem while experimenting with different kinds of material (paper or fabric or foil or anything else), helps to get to the point we want to achieve. And yes, it does not have to restrict freedom of action and exploration. This is what I actually did in this particular workshop – we were focusing on a story.

However, I think that one can also implement a successful and creative working process beginning with a very different assumption. Just an example. I recently participated in a great workshop led by three German puppeteers – Alice Gottschalk, Raphael Mürle and Frank Soehnle during the International Festival of Puppetry Art in our town (Bielsko-Biała) on 24 May. They proposed to simply follow the material we were using. To get inspiration from anything the material brings in through its shape, sound, way of moving and behaving. Tha main task was to avoid focusing on any characters, stories or our own visions. Just to submit ourselves to the rhythm imposed by an object. I have to admit that it worked perfectly!

Maria

12 June 2014 at 12:30
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.