Reply To: Non-Verbal Theatre

Home Forums Theatre Non-Verbal Theatre Reply To: Non-Verbal Theatre

Author Replies
admin # Posted on 12 June 2014 at 12:30

Hello again, Christine, after a longer silence.

I fully agree with your statement that focusing group work on a specific theme/problem while experimenting with different kinds of material (paper or fabric or foil or anything else), helps to get to the point we want to achieve. And yes, it does not have to restrict freedom of action and exploration. This is what I actually did in this particular workshop – we were focusing on a story.

However, I think that one can also implement a successful and creative working process beginning with a very different assumption. Just an example. I recently participated in a great workshop led by three German puppeteers – Alice Gottschalk, Raphael Mürle and Frank Soehnle during the International Festival of Puppetry Art in our town (Bielsko-Biała) on 24 May. They proposed to simply follow the material we were using. To get inspiration from anything the material brings in through its shape, sound, way of moving and behaving. Tha main task was to avoid focusing on any characters, stories or our own visions. Just to submit ourselves to the rhythm imposed by an object. I have to admit that it worked perfectly!

Maria