ArtescommunityART AS A VEHICLE FOR EDUCATION AND SOCIAL INCLUSION

Group Admins
    Lukasz

Digital Art

Public Group  |  active 1 year, 11 months ago ago

multimedia art

Difficult Questions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Krzysztof Krzysztof 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts

Krzysztof

said

I’ve published “Dreamy Portraits.33 Dreams” photo exhibition
and in addition to this I have a few questions for you.
These are questions which I ask myself.
In the organization where I work with (The Bielsko Artistic Association Grodzki Theatre) we carry out projects based on activities for disabled people, and workshops for youth in need.
Can we publish their images to the public?
When can we do so? If we can.
If we can, what should they be like?

http://artescommunity.eu/dreamy-portraits-33-dreams/

31 August 2014 at 18:46

Aleksander

said

These are difficult questions indeed, especially for someone who does not feel like being judgmental in these matters. So I can only share my personal views.

I think it is worth publishing photos of people in a way which opens encounter possibilities. This is exactly what attracted me to the Dreamy Portraits exhibition. You see the pictures but you have the feeling of meeting real people there. The art of photography gets you closer to the people and their inner world. This is a meaningful experience.

We are flooded with images of disability through websites, banners, posters, etc. of a very different nature. Disability is used as a promotional tool of various good-hearted initiatives. These images are just pieces of advertising material and make sense only if they attract the right audience to the right cause. Sometimes they do the opposite. Advertising is a meaningful course of action, still not to be confused with genuine art (unless you see all art as manipulative and deceptive).

1 September 2014 at 15:06

Lukasz

said

I agree with Aleksander. IMO in photography it is always important not to treat pople only or primarily as objects. It is not easy to avoid this danger using their photos as advertising materials – I mean photos usually taken for other reasons in situations not connected to promotional purposes, like for instance photos of professional models acting for advertisment.

Preparing promotional materials we usually “play” with some characteristic attribute of a person – when we want to sell toothpaste we expose white teeth, when we want to sell shampoo, we expose long beautiful hair. And usually there’s nothing wrong with it. But “playing” with disability is something different. We expose something “negative” then “positive”. And usually it is not art, but craft.

Krzysztof, I like your exhibition very much. Among other things because I feel, you don’t want to “play” with these people, with their disability. You don’t try to hide it and you don’t try to expose it. Here the person is the end, not a mean. And the pople here now that in this moment someone is taking a photo to be shown to the public (or am I wrong?).

I also think that dreams are interesting way, when you want to see not olny faces, but to reach deaper. Even if dreams often make our faces different than usuall, dreaming together and talking about dreams brings people together.

So answering your question – IMHO we can publish photos of disabled people – no doubt when it is done in your way. I’m sure it is not the only way, but we always have to be very sensitive in this matter.

For the end I have a question to your exhibition idea and contact with your students – when did you talk about dreams – when you were taking pictures or in a different time?

5 September 2014 at 11:54

Krzysztof

said

These aren’t easy questions, as the topic says, so we can’t find easy answears either.
I often ask myself these questions during my Occupational Therapy Workshops.
That means in practical situations. So it would be a good idea to invite people,
who have to deal with a problem of publishment such photos, to take part in our discussion.

There is an another important aspect of those questions. Disabled people usually like to be photographed. They also like watching their published photos. In my opinion only supervisors sense of softness of publications can guarantee corectness.

Łukasz-photos were taken firstly. I had shown them to each photographed person and asked if they accept them. Later a conversation about their dreams took place.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Avatar of Krzysztof Krzysztof.
9 September 2014 at 21:42
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.