ArtescommunityART AS A VEHICLE FOR EDUCATION AND SOCIAL INCLUSION

Group Admins
    Vera

Art and cross-cultural dialogue

Public Group  |  active 2 years, 1 month ago ago

Art offers a unique perspective for the reflection on cultural diversity: it can point to the common universal that transcends cultural borders at the same time it can point to the fantastic diversity in different cultural representations of what is music, beauty, drama… And then there is more. Engaging in art activities triggers skills, attitudes that we feel are very close to the so-called “intercultural competences”: handling uncertainty, ambiguity, management of emotions, capacity to negotiate. This group will explore and share practices that illustrate how art can contribute to better understand and better live diversity.

Does subversive art improves cross-cultural Dialogue?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Lukasz Lukasz 3 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts

Juan

said

Hello everyone, look at this performance:

“Friday, September 12, four Argentine artists have thrown a bucket of fake blood on his head, to show their support for the Palestinian cause. With this performance, they hope to ride the wave “Ice Bucket Challenge” to mobilize their compatriots”

https://ijsbergmagazine.com/international/article/6087-argentine-ice-bucket-sang-palestine/

Do you believe that this is a good way of promoting cross-cultural Dialogue?

19 September 2014 at 11:17

Lukasz

said

I don’t think so. At least in my case. Maybe sometimes one symbolic picture can tell us more than tousand words and trigger emotions which lead us to conrete actions, but usually, like in this case, shocking event “makes noise” only for a moment and focuses attention mailny on itself.

Watching this movie I quickly forget about Palestinian children and after all try also forget this awful scene at the and.

Maybe the problem is that I don’t understand the language here, but anyway it looks rather aggressive, and aggression can provoke rather quarrel than dialog.

28 November 2014 at 15:13

Juan

said

What about something like this?

1 December 2014 at 16:12

Lukasz

said

That’s better, I think. With more positive emotions, more intellectual as well. It seems to me similar to this idea: http://artescommunity.eu/role-playing-bibliodrama-and-intercultural-competence/

These experiences can get people closer and let them believe that on the other side “there are the people too”. If we only don’t stop on this step, but try to develop it into deeper dialog, I see here a chance.

And what do you think?

1 December 2014 at 22:51

Juan

said

Lukasz,

I believe that it is important to humanize “difference”. We usually learn that everything that is different is bad, from the very begining in school… We HAVE to be all the same!

Hopefully we can “make a difference”

Happy New year!

16 December 2014 at 13:58

Lukasz

said

Juan,
I totally agree with you – diversity is something even more than positive.

Also such phenomenon as dialog is reasonable only when we differ.

But what about your opinion on the movies presented above? Do they open space for dialog or only stress differences?

Happy New Year to you too!

17 December 2014 at 09:34
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.