ArtescommunityART AS A VEHICLE FOR EDUCATION AND SOCIAL INCLUSION

Group Admins
    Jim

ALa,Galway Ireland

Public Group  |  active 1 year, 4 months ago ago

ALâ ( Adult Participatory Theatre, Arts and Education )

ALâ, founded in 2004 is a fully inclusive personal social and community development organization, catering for adults of all abilities, nationalities and ethnic groups, which mainly uses Theatre of the Oppressed, Forum Theatre, methodologies as developmental tools. It is a not for profit organization, run by participants, with Charitable Status.

ALâ run:

Fully inclusive weekly workshops in Ballybane, Galway.

Forum Theatre outreach projects in conjunction with many schools and social and community organizations.

Forum Theatre facilitation skills training courses.
ALâ use the best available facilitators in Europe including Adrian Jackson (London), Annette Tierney, Gavin Crichton (Edinburgh), Julian Boal (Paris & Brazil), Mary Duffin and Peter Hussey and ALâ trained facilitators.

Introduction to Forum Theatre full day workshops in conjunction with organization nationwide

Jim Aherne – Project Director

EMail: alagalway@gmail.com

Web site http://www.ala-ct.ie/

Phone: 086 8461270

83 Castle Park, Ballybane, Galway City, Ireland

Use of puppets in developmental theatre

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Maria-Schejbal Maria-Schejbal 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts

Jim

said

ALâ mainly use Forum Theatre as a personal, social and developmental tool. Doing the Maria Schejbal’s Bielsko Artistic Association Grodzki Theatre, puppet course in Goreme Turkey I am wondering how puppets could be used to deal with subjects like bullying where the audience becomes actively involved as in Forum Theatre
Has anyone any experience in this or comments to make?
Jim

10 June 2014 at 17:42

Maria-Schejbal

said

Hi Jim, and welcome to our ARTES platform!

I am not that familiar with Forum Theatre, just being aware of its main principles. But as you know, I am totally crazy about puppets. Answering your question about using puppetry art in dealing with painful social phenomena, I would like to refer to my own experience. With puppets we can do things which would not work in actors theatre. Once, when I wanted to show on stage the desintegration of a person addicted to drugs, we constructed a human size puppet made out of plastic foil. The image of this character falling apart in front of the audience was a powerful effect according to the spectators` testimonies. You can see the performance here on the platform under Theatre category: http://artescommunity.eu/performance-magic-mountain-or-a-few-facts-from-ms-life/

I can imagine similar theatrical situation while touching bullying subject. It can be shown literally how every aggressive action impacts on the puppet character. Every single part of its body can react and get damaged. And then we can invite the audience to animate such crippled personage. This could work, I believe. Let`s wait for other ideas and suggestions.

Maria

14 June 2014 at 10:29

Jim

said

I would like to thank Maria Schejbal & Krzysztof Tusiewicz for comming to Galway and running two day workshops in Puppetry in both Galway and Ennis, Co Clare. I learnt a lot and think it is a great way to create awareness of issues of concern. They also attended the ALa showcase last Friday where there was performances by our Adult inclusive Community Workshop and the Outreach & Training Group. We had the pleasure of a tour of Connemara today.
I look forward to the opportunity to visit them in the Spring. While there we will run an introduction to Forum Theatre if anyone is interested in learning about this form of theatre.
Thank you Maria & Krzysztof
Jim Aherne
ALa Project Coordinator

29 November 2014 at 22:42

Maria-Schejbal

said

Many thanks to Ala for inviting us and organizing both workshops! It was an exciting and fruitful experience. Soon, we will publish a new learning path on ARTES platform based on the two Irish sessions. We do count on the participants feedback! And we are looking forward to welcoming you in Poland in spring to further explore synergies between Forum Theatre and puppetry art. Maria

2 December 2014 at 20:51
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.